From the Talmud:
Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it
and whispers, ‘Grow, grow.’
A gentle whisper—grow, grow…
- the spring rain to the grass
- the sunlight filtering down to the rosebush
- the robin nesting on her eggs
- the mother bending over her baby
- the conversation that asks from us a new response
- nutrient-dense food coming into our cells, tissues, and bones
- each new breath entering the body
- love suffusing our overwhelmed hearts
- the angels watching over us as we sleep
- True Nature guiding the unfoldment of our lives
Take a moment and sense how you feel right now—body, heart, and mind.
But what about the everyday messages you learn from your upbringing and culture, reinforced by the inner critic inside your head?
It usually sounds more like this, doesn’t it?
- Hop to!
- Do it better.
- Eat right.
- Get moving, dummy!
- Work harder.
- Go faster.
- Not that way, stupid.
- You should have known better.
Take another pause. How do you feel after reading that?
When you hear words like this, your body goes into high alert. The primitive, reptilian brain registers danger, so cortisol and adrenaline rush through your body to get ready for fight, flight, or freeze. In this stressed nervous system response, your focus is narrowly fixed on avoiding danger and you don’t have much access to anything else.
Humor me and read the first part of this blogpost again slowly, and notice how your whole bodysoul changes state. When you feel safe, you can relax into more of yourself:
- your body releases, softens, and becomes more resilient,
- your heart unclenches and can feel more than anger, fear, or hurt,
- and your mind feels wider, more expansive, more spacious.
How do you WANT to live?
Do you want to march to the beat of the inner critic drill sergeant?
Or would you rather listen to the gentle whispers of life?
How do you want to grow?
I have a few spots open in my Coaching Program right now. If you’d like to explore how my support could help you open more gently to the changes you want for your life, you can schedule a free Discovery Session. I’d be happy to meet with you!
And my Way of the Happy Woman® Spring Retreat is coming up on Sunday April 24th—please join me for a time of listening to the whispers of your soul.
p.s. Do you have friends who are seeking insight and understanding in how to live a happier, more fulfilled life? I’d love it if you would share this post with them on Facebook!
Yearning for more presence and less overwhelm?
Sign up for 10 Simple Ways to Welcome the Sacred into Your Daily Life!
2 thoughts on “Grow”
The contrast between the first part and then the critic part is amazing. I can feel the chemistry change in my body.
Thank you, Katy.
awesome! it’s an amazing difference, isn’t it? let’s choose differently!